Child Abuse (click, copy and paste into your browser) Must Be Stopped…
The theme for this year’s National Child Abuse Prevention Month is “Building Community, Building Hope.” Communities have a great influence in families’ lives. Everyone can get involved and play a role in preventing child abuse and neglect and promoting child and family well-being. This section provides information on getting involved to strengthen families and your community.
Get involved to strengthen your community!
- Meet and greet your neighbors.
- Go to a parents’ meeting at your child’s school.
- Use the Activity Calendars to plan activities in your community.
- Set up a playgroup in your community at people’s homes or local park (consider inviting people who may not have children at home, like local seniors).
- Organize a community babysitting co-op.
- Volunteer at your child’s school through the school’s administration or the parent’s organization.
- Encourage local service providers to produce a directory of available services that are easy to find in the community.
- Organize a community event (a block party, father/daughter dance, parent support group)
- Run for an office in the parent organization at your child’s school.
- Attend local government meetings (city council or school board meetings) and let them know how important resources are in your community. Let them know how parks, strong schools, and accessible services help to strengthen your family and other families.